Reflecting on 2021 with Excitement for a Milestone Year Ahead
A New Year’s Message from Our CEO & President
As 2021 comes to an end, and we look ahead to 2022 we want to express our deep appreciation for our hard-working Ware Malcomb team members across our company. We also want to thank our clients and industry partners for another great year.
There is so much diversity in the work we do. It’s not only exciting to see the different types of projects across our offices, but the impact our work has on the communities around us. From adult day care centers, fertility clinics and low-income housing to pediatric cancer clinics and N95 mask manufacturing facilities. Our work helps transform the way people work and live. Throughout the pandemic, our e-commerce projects have helped innovate the logistics/retail supply chain and how critical items get to consumers every day.
In 2021, we delivered over 4,400 projects to our clients with innovative design, enthusiasm and successful collaboration and grew 27%.
2022 is a special year for us – Ware Malcomb will be celebrating its 50th year in business! We’re excited to celebrate our 50th anniversary on April 1, 2022.
Our theme for this important milestone is:
Our Legacy Inspires the Future People | Design | Community | Innovation
Stay tuned as we kick off our anniversary campaign! Follow us on social media to join us on this journey commemorating the firm’s legacy, celebrating our team members and looking forward with an innovative, future-focused mindset.
2021 Highlights – A Year in Review
Rankings & Industry Awards
We were ranked in additional national and local firm publications including, among others:
- One of Inc. 5000’s Fastest Growing Private Firms in America – for the fourth year in a row!
- Interior Design Magazine Top Giants – 25th Overall, 25th Healthcare
- Engineering-News Record’s 2021 Top 500 Design Firms – #39 AE Firm, #119 Overall
- Zweig Group (Fastest Growing) – Hot Firm #13
- Orange County Business Journal Top Architecture Firms – #1
- San Diego Business Journal Architectural Firms – #3
- San Francisco Business Times: Interior Design Firms –#10 & Architecture Firms – #16
- Phoenix Business Journal: Architecture Firms – #11 & Interior Design Firms – #17
- Denver Business Journal Top Architecture Firms – #22
- Los Angeles Business Journal Top Architecture Firms – #29
- BD+C Top AE Firms – #1 Industrial Firm (second year in a row), #13 Overall AE Firm and select sector rankings include:
- #11 Workplace/Interior Fit out
- #12 Office
- #12 Medical Office Building
- #19 Retail
We were recognized with industry awards including, among others:
- NAIOP Colorado Awards of Achievement – Industrial Project Winner – TruStile Doors
- Work Design Magazine’s 2021 Next Work Environment Competition – The Pearl Workstation
- NAIOP New Jersey Deal of the Year Award – FreezPak Logistics Center
- NAIOP Georgia Award of Excellence – Industrial Development of the Year – Prologis Goodyear BTS
- 2021 Gold Nugget Award for Best Mixed-Use Project – One Paseo
- SDBJ CRE Awards – One Paseo and VA Clinic
- GlobeSt.com Industrial Influencer Award
- IMA Future-Proofer of the Year
- ASLA SoCal Award of Merit – Flyte El Segundo
Our leaders reinforced Ware Malcomb’s thought leadership and industry involvement by speaking at over 30 events across North America on topics such as workplace strategy and employee experience, cold storage best practices, workplace diversity, leadership and professional career development, among many others.
Our efforts resulted in media features, articles, interviews and podcasts published across North America including GlobeSt.com, Interior Design magazine, Engineering News Record, Building Design + Construction and many more. Additionally, Ware Malcomb’s -book was published in partnership with NAIOP and FCL Builders covering Cold Storage Facility Development Best Practices.
We launched WM 5.0, our employee idea based continuous improvement program. We received over 1,000 ideas from team members across the firm on topics ranging from our culture, innovation, design and operations.
We made progress on our company-wide WM Future initiative to develop and adapt future technology and processes into everything we do. We are excited to continue it next year with an eye towards innovation.
Our WM Community program actively engages team members across the firm to make a difference. We continued these efforts by strongly supporting organizations in our communities including, among others:
- United Way
- Orange County United Way
- Susan G. Komen
- Knight-Swift Charitable Foundation
- American Heart Association
- Irvine Police Association
- United Way Northern New Jersey – ALICE Fund
- National Organization of Minority Architects
- DuPage County Department of Transit – Adopt a Trail
- Links Players International
- New Jersey Performing Arts Center
- Diabetes Research Institute
- Pack to School – Boys & Girls Club of Metro Denver
- Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation
- CSU Fullerton Philanthropic Foundation – WLP
- Project Mercy – Baja Challenge
- Orange County Professional Firefighters Assoc.
- Friends of Saint Dominic’s – Blauvelt
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Challenged Athletes Foundation
- United Way Rally for Change
- OC United Way Youth Career Connections
- Architecture for Communities LA
- Aptus Treatment Centre – Ontario
- Lake Arrowhead Church – Golfing Fore Children
As part of the WM Foundation program, we were proud to award two scholarships this year to deserving children of WM team members.
Looking back on this year, we are so proud of our team and what we have accomplished together. As we enter 2022 with optimism and excitement, we wish all of our team members, clients, industry partners and friends a healthy and Happy New Year!