A Positive 2020 Outlook
2019 was the fifth straight record-breaking year for Ware Malcomb! We experienced a strong 24% revenue growth and surpassed our strategic plan goals set for this year. We opened new offices in Dallas, Washington, D.C. and Downtown Toronto.
As we enter 2020 with a strong start, we are excited to share significant leadership news for Ware Malcomb. I am so proud of our team and all of the hard work and dedication it took to make this important transition happen. Here are the highlights:
- I will be transitioning to Chairman of the firm
- Ken Wink has been promoted to CEO
- Jay Todisco has been promoted to President
- Matt Brady has been promoted to Executive Vice President
- Tobin Sloane has been promoted to EVP/CFO
It has been my honor to serve as CEO for the past 28 years. I sincerely appreciate the opportunity I was given by the firm’s founders Bill Ware and Bill Malcomb, and my original partner and past president Jim Williams. I look forward to supporting the board as we make our way into 2020!
We want to express our gratitude to our amazing clients, colleagues and WM team members for our greatest year yet filled with awesome project opportunities. Thanks to you, we delivered over 4,300 projects with great enthusiasm, design, drawings, service and teamwork!
We are proud to share some of the highlights from 2019 as we reflect on this great year:
We experienced significant growth in Civil Engineering services, with the expansion of our Land Surveying team. We added Civil Engineering team members in New Jersey, Phoenix and San Diego.
We celebrated the 1-year anniversary of our acquisition of WorkSpace Plans, a building measurement services company, augmenting Ware Malcomb’s services by offering the latest technology and expertise in building measurement. We have provided building measurement services in over 11 of our offices.
We were ranked in several national and local firm rankings:
- One of Inc. 5000’s Fastest Growing Private Firms in America – for the second year in a row!
- #14 A/E Firm – Engineering News Record Design Firm Rankings
- Recognized in several Regional ENR Top Design Firm Rankings: California, New York/New Jersey, Midwest, Southwest, Southeast, Texas, and Colorado
- #18 A/E Firm – Building Design+Construction Giants 300
- #16 Zweig Hot Firm & #60 Zweig Best Firm to Work For – for the 7th and 2nd year in a row!
- #8 Retail Sector Design Firm, #26 Interiors Firm Overall, #23 Healthcare – Interior Design Magazine Top 100 Giants
- #3 Architecture Firm in Orange County & Fastest Growing Private Companies – Orange County Business Journal
- #8 Top Architecture Firms in San Diego – San Diego Business Journal
- #13 Top Interior Design Firms – San Francisco Business Times
- #16 Interior Design Firms – Phoenix Business Journal
Some of our industry awards included:
- NAIOP Chicago Awards of Excellence – Design Firm of the Year for the third year in a row!
- JLL Spaces Showcase Awards – Sendoso & Western Windows Systems
- San Diego Business Journal Commercial Real Estate Awards – Kilroy Sabre Springs (Best Redevelopment Project) and Callaway (Best Tenant Improvement Project)
- Association for Corporate Growth Orange County Awards – Top 3 Finalist in Corporate Responsibility
- Orange County Business Journal Innovator of the Year Awards – Finalist
WM leaders reinforced our thought leadership by speaking at over 30 events across North America on topics such as office and industrial trends, post occupancy evaluations, diversity and multistory distribution, among many others. Our leaders are already booked to speak at engagements in 2020.
We also broke records in the media with over 300 features in 2019 with notable coverage in Architectural Digest, Building Design + Construction, Work Design Magazine, Washington Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and Globe Street, just to name a few.
We continued WM 4.0, our employee idea based continuous improvement program, implementing numerous ideas including a few notable ones: new intranet, employee recognition program, and many website enhancements, among others.
As part of the WM Foundation program, we were proud to award two scholarships this year to deserving children of WM employees.
Our amazing team members continue to reinforce our Culture Designed to Care by giving back to their communities, strongly supporting the following organizations:
- United Way
- Susan G. Komen Foundation
- Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation
- Pack to School
- Baja Challenge
- Habitat for Humanity
- Working Wardrobes
- We Care
- Spark of Love
- Samaritan House Homeless Shelter
- housing FORW>RD
- Dress for Success
- St. Mary’s Food Bank
- Diaper Derby
- Downers Grove Family Shelter
- West Suburban Humane Society Pet Shelter
- NAIOP Feeding America
- Orangewood Foundation
- Kids Against Hunger
- Fundacion Yo Te Creo
- DuPage Senior Citizens Council
- Toys for Tots
- Star of Hope
It has been another awesome year. We look forward to working with you for a successful 2020!
Happy New Year!